Monday, October 6, 2008

I am a French Soldier in the French and Indian War.

Mother Dearest,
I'm sure you've heard about the war that this little land dispute has become. I'm proud to say the French have not started this thing. George Washington, the assassin, started the battles by killing Joseph Coulon de Villiers de Jumonville, a diplomat. The fool will surely be the English's downfall. There is absolutely no way they can win with that screw-up on their side. I have been lucky enough to not have seen the battle fields yet, although there is a battle here at the fort for food. Our supplies are slow coming from our territory up north, and they disappear fast, for our men are very hungry. The fort has a very bad odor also, for soap is very hard to come by anymore. I have to admit I don't smell very well either. This war is terrible. It makes me wonder if the land is really worth it. Everyday I wake up to hear people moaning and groaning. I think it is from the wounded that are brought here to be taken care of. I pray that all this suffering and sadness will soon end, and we will emerge from our misery victorious. The only thing somewhat positive about this is that I have met some interesting, kind people. My French comrads and I get along very well. The Indians are however a different story. Their abilities amaze me but also scare me. I will admit I am afraid of these people although it is probably just my imagination acting up. I miss you mom. Please write me back as soon as possible.
With love,
Jamie

No comments: